The main objective of section services are to:
- To conduct a comprehensive survey of water resources to identify the most suitable locations for establishment a new resources in terms of getting sufficient amount of water with acceptable quality and affordable depths.
- Identify the positive and negative impacts of the proposed water resource and recommend appropriate mitigation measures considering potential impacts on natural and secondary environments and assessed potential on short and long-term impacts.
- Investigate Social and ecological effects of groundwater development including loss of agricultural and grazing land, population resettlement.
- Examine effects on the existing water supply such as boreholes and shallow wells, water catchments and springs including fluctuation of water levels and interference of the cone of depression in the boreholes.
- Potential environmental and social impacts by planned and unplanned (spontaneous) immigration into the area.
- Effects of existing and predicted land use on the functioning and longevity of the water supplies.
- Provide an effective and efficient supervision of borehole drilling and surveying contractors and per established norm/standards in the profession.
- Ensure that boreholes are drilled to required depths and specifications as per the hydrogeological investigation recommendations;
- Ensure that drilled borehole is constructed as per established standard and as specified in the drilling contracts.
- Ensure that borehole records (logs, water quality tests, pumping test and recovery curves) are well documented.
- Ensure the construction of the elevated water tank and the kiosks in accordance with the required standards specified by the BOQ.
Main responsibility of section.
- Prospecting the occurrence of water resource;
- Geological survey
- Hydrological and hydrogeological survey
- Geophysical survey
- Geotechnical survey
- Exploration activities;
- Detail mapping of water resource activities.
- Drilling exploration of boreholes.
- Core drilling of site investigation.
- Drilling supervision of groundwater resources.
- Quality control of drilling activities
- Ground water production assessment (Pumping test process).
- Desk review of existing Data and Materials Collection.
– Satellite database
- Hydro-SHEDs database
- Maps and reports
- Borehole Logs
- Field Reconnaissance.
- Hydrogeological fieldwork.
- Geophysical Measurements.
- Socio economic and Environmental Impact Assessments.
- Analysis of hydrogeological/geophysical data.
- Compilation, analysis, and evaluation of the gathered data and information.
- Site selection and reporting.
Drilling supervision Methodology;
This is a field based work whereby.
- It items day-day supervision work to be based with drilling contractor.
- It entails day-bay day supervision work to be carried out.
- The supervisor will provide a work plan in consultation and discussion with Head of section.
- Develop the rig movement plan with the drillers which enable him/her to easily supervise.
- In the events the hydrogeological studies are ongoing; the supervisor will have firsthand information of the hydro-geologic situation at the site.
- Weekly supervisory reports as per agreed format- borehole monitoring reports with updates on drilling progress.
- Copies of drilling logs and pumping tests results.
- After every successful drill well ;Drilling logs, pumping tests results and curves, water quality tests results after completion of drilling and borehole construction at each site shall be summited to section and then to the department.
A) Surveying reporting outline
- Introduction, review of previous studies and environmental background
- Geology and hydrogeology (incl. Inventory of boreholes and other water points)
- Methods of investigations, including Geophysical Techniques
- Detailed resistivity/IP survey (Winner & VES) to delineate the productive aquifer
- Aquifer potential; sustainable yield & Water quality
- Proposed drilling site (GPS- coordinate)
- Detail design of the borehole and bill of quantities for the drilling site.
- Proposed drilling method, and its applicability
- Environmental impact and protection
- Conclusion and recommendations
- Social analysis of the beneficiaries including gender analysis
- Recommends sustainability of the project including exit strategy
B) Drilling reporting outline:
- Drilling methods used.
- Drilling log
- Borehole Construction & development
- Pumping test data and analysis.
- Conclusion and recommendations.